Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2016

And the Oskar goes to Whitney for her role in "Procrastination: A very delayed post"




Forgive me, friends for I have fallen off the schedule. I have had quite an eventful two weeks since my last post and finally have time to tell you all about it.. So let's get started, shall we?

Three weeks ago, I sat in a bright doctor's office waiting for my annual check up,  engaged in a discussion via text with my boyfriend about the Oscar nominees. (We surprising have very similar taste in film. I use the word "surprising" because I honestly didn't think I would meet a human that shared my taste and critical opinions of film until I met Cam, it is one of the many things that attracted me to this man.)

*****WARNING: THE MAJORITY OF THIS POST WILL BE A SAPPY LOVE FEST THAT YOU MAY WANT TO RECONSIDER READING OR AT LEAST GRAB A "DOGGY BAG" BECAUSE YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED TO VOMIT FROM THE EXCESSIVE SAP****

Cam is a very talented musician and the most likable man in the Ska music scene, or any scene really.... Again, I sappily digress. It was then that Cam jokingly said that we should plan an award show for the Orange County Ska community with completely ridiculous awards and a red carpet and name it "The Skacademy Awards" or "The Oskars". I thought it was a hilarious idea and knew that with his brilliant mind and my experience in event coordinating, we could definitely pull it off.



We immediately rolled up our sleeves and started contacting everyone we could think of to make the event happen. Within a week, Cam had most of the bands in the local area excited, social media praise coming from every direction, we had sponsors providing support, and articles about the event in bigger local publications. To be completely honest, I have never been more proud of anyone in my entire life. He worked tirelessly while making it seem effortless. He attended to every possible detail and more while still working full time and having band practice nearly every night. It was incredible. To say it was like watching Superman spinning the entire world backwards and never breaking a sweat would be putting it lightly.

Everyday there seemed to be a new form of support over social media and through the local community.


As I mentioned, I am pretty confident in my event coordinating skills so Cam and I agreed that my skills would be most useful on the day of so, I prepared everything that we would need on the day of.

I would love to give you a extensive description of how I flawlessly put everything together on the day of but instead I will give you a visual aid of what actually happened:

8:00: Wake up & pack up car and tell Cam that everything will be fine and I got this as I send him off to work.
8:10: Go over check list 87,000 times in the shower.
9:00: Panic attack while making envelopes for winners in Starbucks.
10:00: Argue with lady in JoAnn's fabric about discounted fabric then realize that I picked up the wrong one...
11:00: Get to venue and move child's birthday party from my area so I can work efficiently. (Sorry Tommy. Happy 5th birthday btw)
11:30: Get a beer.
12:00: Battle the sun as it melts the duct tape I used to decorate and my hopes and dreams.
12:30 Order balloons
12:30-4:30: Productive Blur filled with Anxiety.
4:30-5: Frantically get ready as my mom graciously watched the stuff at the venue for me. Thanks mom! You da best!!!
5:00-7:30: Panic fest and calming as Cam arrived.
7:30-3:30am- The best event that I've ever been to or had the honor of planning and coordinating.



Everything was perfect. The decorations, the massive amount of people, the bands who played flawlessly, the light saber battle. (yes. light saber battle)



As we got home to finally reunite as we had both running around all night, we talked the success that we had just shared, as we discussed what had happened we realized that a dream that we had talked about passively in the past was actually a possibility with the success of the Oskars. We have decided to start a production team that plans local fun music events with local businesses to raise money for local charities and I could not be more excited or inspired to do anything in my entire life and we already have hit the ground running and many exciting opportunities that will begin in April!!



It's a new journey that I can't wait to begin and I made sure to bring my hankerchief so there 's no going back now..
 *self high five for obscure Hobbit reference*

There are a lot of exciting storms a'brewin' my friends... so stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment